The British Institute of Facilities Management is committed to respecting the privacy of individuals and (as required by the Data Protection Act 1998) is registered with the Office of the Information Commissioner. BIFM’s registration number is Z7132357.
What personal data does BIFM collect?
BIFM collects personal data which identifies you or that can be used to identify you when combined with other information in BIFM’s possession or likely to come into its possession. This personal data may include information such as your name, age, home address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, organisation name, job title, business address, membership number and class, examination records, bank and payment details, education and training details, CPD record and responses to self-assessment handbooks.
How is personal data collected by BIFM?
Personal data is collected by a variety of means, including face to face; by telephone, mail, fax, internet and e-mail; at events, conferences and exhibitions and via third parties.
How does BIFM use your personal data?
BIFM may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Administering and managing your membership of BIFM (e.g. for the purposes of allocating a membership class, circulating members’ benefits, making offers of membership, internal communication and administration of your membership, implementing financial transactions relating to your membership, understanding and building profiles of BIFM members, attendance histories, etc).
- Advertising, promoting and marketing the business, products, services and activities of BIFM (including without limitation, sending you e-mail notifications and otherwise alerting you to information regarding BIFM events and courses which may be of interest to you).
- Publishing a BIFM membership directory for circulation to members and to other relevant parties.
- Sending you e-mail notifications and otherwise alerting you to information that BIFM believes may be of interest to you regarding its members’ or other third parties’ products, services and activities.
- To continue to develop the business, goods, services and activities of BIFM.
Who BIFM may disclose your personal data to
Whilst none of your personal data will be transferred by BIFM outside of the European Economic Area without your consent, BIFM may share part or all of your personal data within the European Economic Area with the following categories or persons:
- BIFM regional representatives for the purposes of administering and managing your membership of BIFM. Such representatives are obliged to comply with a Code of Conduct in relation to their use of your personal data.
- Business associates and trusted suppliers and contractors for the purposes of administering and managing your membership of BIFM and for the purposes of providing you with information, products and/or services requested by you and managing and administering such requests.
- Business associates and other trusted suppliers of goods or services for the purposes of providing you with information that BIFM believes may be of interest to you regarding BIFM’s or its members’ or other third parties’ products and/or regulatory services.
- Government authorities, if legally required to do so, or if BIFM believes necessary in connection with an investigation of any activity that is illegal or may expose BIFM to any liability.
- Third parties in connection with any proposed merger, reorganisation, or sale of all or substantially all of BIFM’s business.
Your Ability to Opt-out / Opt-in
However, it is BIFM’s intention to give individuals as much control as is reasonably possible over how their personal data is processed by BIFM. Accordingly, several of the purposes described above (such as the use of your personal data for sending you information which BIFM believe may be of interest to you) are entirely voluntary and such communications will often only be sent to you if you have opted in to receive them.
In any event, you may at any time opt-out of receiving any such communications by either contacting BIFM
, ticking an opt-out box (where relevant and applicable) or by following the opt-out procedures described in the relevant communication.
BIFM takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal data you disclose to BIFM remains in a secure environment. However BIFM cannot and does not guarantee that your personal data will be free from unauthorised interception or access and except in cases of fraud by BIFM, BIFM shall not be liable to you for any losses caused by any such unauthorised interception or access.
Links to other Websites
BIFM’s web site may contain links to other sites not controlled or monitored by BIFM. These sites may independently send you cookies and collect data and information. BIFM is not responsible for and does not accept any liability for their actions or the content of their sites.
Review, Correction, Questions and Comments
If at any time you wish to update the personal data you have provided to BIFM; wish to see BIFM’s records relating to your personal data; or if you have any questions or comments about BIFM’s privacy practices, please contact BIFM