- To recognise and address the importance of sustainability and environmental issues and how facilities management impacts on these issues.
- To develop and implement policies that protect the environment, support corporate social responsibility and improve awareness.
- To review policies to reflect changes in legislation.
- To analyse and improve energy and utility efficiency.
FM functional area components:
- To develop, implement and review an organisationís energy management policy and ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
- To influence the reduction of consumption of electricity, gas and water in buildings.
- To measure and monitor energy consumption against targets, thereby reducing cost and increasing efficiency.
- To influence the reduction of an organisationís carbon footprint.
- To develop, implement and review policies that protect the environment and comply with relevant legislation.
- To improve environmental awareness among key stakeholders and introduce behaviour change programmes which support the corporate social responsibility statement of an organisation.
- To review and influence the impact of the facilities management functions on an organisation plus the wider community.
|CAREER LEVEL||Energy Management||Environmental Management|
|STRATEGIC||Influences an energy and water management strategy and evaluates its impact||Influences the development of a sustainable environmental management strategy and policies|
|SENIOR||Controls and conserves energy and water to reduce the impact of facilities management activities on the environment||Implements the environmental strategy and evaluates its impact on an organisation|
|MANAGER||Audits energy and water usage and promotes their efficient use||Manages systems to ensure that environmental standards are met and adopts sustainable practices|
|SUPERVISORY||Monitors and reports on the use of energy and water||Collects, analyses and reports information on environmental and waste management issues|
|SUPPORT||Collects data on energy and water usage||Complies with organisational environmental policies and procedures|