The Role of Facilities Management
The role of facilities management is to:
- optimise the use of, and manage, workplaces in order to deliver the strategic objectives of the organisation.
- identify examples of best practice, assess emerging developments in business thinking and be able to present realistic plans for the introduction of new innovative ways of working.
- optimise operational effectiveness, whilst ensuring compliance with key legislation and ensuring the workplace adapts to the changing needs of the organisation.
FM functional area components:
- To understand the role and scope of facilities management, its function within organisations and the wider community.
- To acknowledge that facilities management is pivotal if organisations are to operate safely, efficiently and effectively while complying with relevant legislation.
- To understand the structure of organisations and how the functions, culture and processes affect the delivery of facilities management
Information and Knowledge Management
- To collect, analyse and use data to provide information and utilise the knowledge acquired to ensure that the workplace fully supports an organisation's strategic objectives.
- To use the information and knowledge obtained to inform the decision making process and to drive innovation in the delivery of service.
|Sector Knowledge||Information and Knowledge Management|
|STRATEGIC||Influences and promotes facilities management within and beyond the sector both nationally and internationally||Develops knowledge management strategies and systems to support an organisation's strategic facilities management vision|
|SENIOR||Understands the changing role, scope and impact of facilities management and influences developments and trends||Manages the use of information and implements information systems to improve business performance|
|MANAGER||Promotes the role, diversity and contribution of facilities management in the wider environment||Analyses and interprets information to make business decisions|
|SUPERVISORY||Understands the role and importance of facilities management within an organisation||Uses information to support facilities management operations|
|SUPPORT||Understands the structure of facilities management within an organisation||Collects information to support facilities management operations|